I had big intentions for a Tuscan styled chicken dish tonight but somehow I ended up with something completely different! Surprisingly it still tastes good!
1 tablespoon olive oil
6-8 chicken thighs or legs
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic minced
1 C chicken broth
1 teaspoon dried oregano and or thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
2 cups chopped mushrooms
2 tbsp mustard
1/3 cup cream or coconut milk
1 tbsp tapioca flour or cornstarch
2 cups chopped fresh greens (eg spinach, kale, beetroot leaves)
grated Parmesan cheese optional, for serving
1. In large pot heat oil and then brown chicken. Remove chicken from pan.
2. Reduce the heat to medium and add the onion to the pan. Saute, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
3. Pour the chicken broth into the pan and cook for 1 minutes.
4. Add the chicken, herbs, mushrooms, semi-dried tomatoes and mustard. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Cover and cook on low heat for 4-5 hours, until chicken is cooked and falls off bone.
6. In a small bowl, whisk together the cream and tapioca. Stir it into the chicken, along with the spinach/ greens. Cook for 5 minutes, until the sauce is slightly thickened.
Serve with grated Parmesan cheese, and alongside some steamed broccoli. Or serve on some kumara mash.